- Try not to skip meals, especially breakfast. Eating breakfast helps boost our metabolic rate in the morning. Meal skipping will make us more hungry and may overeat afterwards.
- Healthy snacks are allowed in between meals. Dieting doesn't mean being hungry all the time. The key is to watch the serving size and try to limit snacks to fruits, vegetables and fibre rich foods.
- Avoid sweetened drinks, for example, coffee with sweetened condensed milk, teh tarik, soft drinks.
- Cut down on food gradually. Avoid crash diets. It is extremely difficult to sustain a very low calorie diet for long periods of time.
- If you really have to eat something unhealthy, do it early in the day or right after a workout.
- Drink adequate amounts of water.
- Choose whole grain options, avoid simple sugars.
- Read labels carefully. A label that reads “low fat ” does not necessarily means that it is also low in calories. The food item might still be high in sugar and loaded with calories.
- Try not store unhealthy or junk food in our house and office.
- Eat slowly to allow satiety signals from the stomach to reach the brain.
- Try healthy cooking methods – steaming, grilling, baking, boiling.
- Watch out for “hidden calories”, for example, salad dressing, gravy and sweetened drinks.
- Continue a maintenance diet plan after successfully reaching our target weight to avoid gaining back the pounds
Thursday, March 1, 2012
How to Lose Weight Effectively - Part 2 : Diet Tips
When it comes to healthy eating, a triumphant day one is motivation for day two, and so on. Here is a list of my favouraite diet tips to supercharge your weight loss efforts.
Photo credit : Philip Friedman/Studio D